Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,28 Aug 2014

Hoshiarpur court disposes of rape trial in three days

Harpreet Kaur, Hindustan Times  Hoshiarpur, February 07, 2013
First Published: 17:02 IST(7/2/2013) | Last Updated: 19:00 IST(7/2/2013)

A district court, which had completed a rape trial in just eight days last month, on Thursday sent a rape convict to jail for 12 years, just three days after the framing of charges.

Advertisement


The court of additional sessions judge Manjinder Singh convicted Behbalpur resident Harpreet Singh (25), alias Mangat Ram, for raping a four-year-old girl of Thinda village in Hoshiarpur district. A fine of Rs. 25,000 was also slapped on him.

The girl had gone missing on December 14, 2012. She was recovered from Harpreet's custody in the evening by the Mehtiana police. Investigations had revealed that she was lured with sweets when she was playing with other children and taken to a nearby sugarcane field, where she was raped. A medical examination had confirmed sexual abuse.

A chargesheet was filed in the court on Monday. On Thursday, the court gave its verdict. Eight witnesses were examined in two days. Defence counsel SP Bharwal said he could have produced evidence to prove his client's innocence, had he been given some time.

Senior superintendent of police (SSP) Sukhchain Singh Gill said the police and the judiciary had done a commendable job. "We have put the justice delivery system on the fast track," he added.

Last month, the court of additional sessions judge JS Bhinder had disposed of a rape case within eight days of production of the challan. The convict, Jai Parkash Dwivedi, alias Pawan Dubey, a resident of Ambala Shri Duar (Uttar Pradesh), has been awarded 10-year imprisonment for the rape of a 17-year-old resident of Bagwai village in Hoshiarpur district. Two co-accused had been acquitted.

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement
more from Jalandhar

No trace of 2 missing in Italy boat tragedy

Hopes of survival for the two Punjabi youth of Sanora village reported to missing in the boat tragedy that happened on the night of August 14 on their way from Libya to Italy, are fading strongly with the family unable to get in touch with their wards.
Advertisement

 
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved