Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,21 Dec 2014

No progress in bank locker robbery case

Rajeev Bhaskar, Hindustan Times  Jalandhar, February 09, 2013
First Published: 18:55 IST(9/2/2013) | Last Updated: 19:16 IST(9/2/2013)

Twenty two days after 40 lockers were robbed at  Punjab & Sind Bank (P&SB), the city police have no solid leads. Different teams were sent to several districts after the January 18 robbery. Some suspects were also rounded up, but there was no progress in cracking the case.

Advertisement

 Police commissioner Gaurav Yadav had formed a Special Investigation Team (SIT) headed by additional deputy commissioner of police (ADCP) Harpreet Singh Mandher.

"The commissioner holds a meeting with the SIT twice a day to keep a tab on the investigation, but no vital clue has been found," sources in the police said.

When contacted, ADCP Mandher told HT that nearly 400 phone numbers have been short-listed as worth watching of the detail of operational phones in the particular area of crime on the fateful night. So far, more than 300 callers have been questioned and verified.

"We are making efforts to track down the accused in the robbery," Mandher said. The police in the adjoining states were also contacted to share details of similar crimes there, but nothing was uncovered.

"The robbers were smart enough and did not leave any clue on the crime spot, which has put the investigation virtually in dark," he admitted.

On the amount of loss, the police said of the 40 lockers robbed, four were not allotted to anybody. However, no estimates can be put forward as some locker holders had not yet reported their losses.

Even after the robbery, some banks in the city are reluctant to spend on security and have failed to install CCTV cameras and night security guards.

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
more from Jalandhar

Admn to start door-to-door survey at cancer-hit Nawanshahr village

The Nawanshahr administration will start a door-to-door special cancer survey at Tonsa in the district following reports of rise in the number of cancer patients in the village due to alleged pollution in groundwater by industrial discharge.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved