Advertisement

HindustanTimes Wed,30 Jul 2014

Victim's kin term police inquiry 'farce', demand judicial probe

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Jalandhar, May 07, 2014
First Published: 20:51 IST(7/5/2014) | Last Updated: 20:53 IST(7/5/2014)

Terming the police inquiry into the alleged torture incident of a minor boy a farce, the victim's kin here on Wednesday demanded a judicial probe into the case.

Advertisement

The kin of the boy met police commissioner Ishwar Singh and handed over a letter to him, demanding a judicial probe into the incident.

The victim, Gagandeep Singh, was allegedly given third degree torture by police even as his family proved that he was a minor.

The boy is under treatment at the Jalandhar civil hospital for the injuries inflicted on him by police during the torture in an alleged snatching case that took place on April 28.

The victim's family members approached the police commissioner for a judicial probe following additional commissioner of police (ADCP) (headquarters) Naveen Singla ruled out any torture to the minor boy.

While supporting the family, Vijay Hans, who has contested the Lok Sabha polls as an Independent, said the ADCP in his report said Gagandeep was not minor which was wrong, following which his parents had submitted a written complaint to the authorities concerned.

"We are not satisfied with the inquiry report submitted by the ADCP, hence we demand a judicial probe," stated Rimple Singh, the father of the victim, in his letter to the police commissioner.

On Tuesday, a three-page report into the incident was submitted to the police commissioner by the ADCP after an inquiry was marked following the complaint of the victim's mother, who alleged torture to her minor son by police.

As reported by the medical board after the boy's examination, the report states, the injuries were inflicted on the victim by the people who caught him while he was fleeing with a stolen purse.

Some injuries had been received by the boy when he fell on the road after snatching the purse, said the report, adding: "The boy was not tortured in the police custody."

During his visit to the civil hospital on Saturday, Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) national vice-president and former minister Laxmi Kanta Chawla had condemned the commissionerate of police for the alleged torture of the minor boy at the Surya Enclave police post and cautioned them against cruelty on minors.

The victim had gone missing on Tuesday and returned home on Friday night after reportedly spending two nights at the Cantonment railway station.

A day after his arrest on April 28, the victim allegedly went missing from the Surya Enclave police post following which sub-inspector Vijay Kumar and head constable Balwinder Kumar were suspended and a case was registered against them under sections 223 and 224 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), while further investigations were on.


 

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement
more from Jalandhar

CWG judo medalists get rousing welcome in Jalandhar

Navjot Chana and Rajwinder Kaur, who won silver and bronze medals in the Commonwealth Games respectively, received a rousing welcome at the Jalandhar railway station on Tuesday.

Advertisement

 
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved