Kabaddi World Cup: intruder did it for Khalsa | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Kabaddi World Cup: intruder did it for Khalsa

punjab Updated: Dec 23, 2013 20:45 IST
Tarsem Singh Deogan

Gurpreet Singh (32), who was arrested for breaching security at the finale of the Kabaddi World Cup here on December 14, said he took the step to show his solidarity with fasting activist Gurbaksh Singh Khalsa.


"My act was pre-planned and purely based on my impulse to do something for the elderly gentleman who is risking his life for a humane cause," said Gurpreet, a resident of Qila Hans village in the district, while talking to Hindustan Times after his release on Monday.

Gurpreet, who runs a readymade garments shop in the village, said Khalsa was on a fast-unto-death and despite paying attention to him, chief minister Parkash Singh Badal and deputy CM Sukhbir Badal were busy with the Kabaddi World Cup.

"I wanted to make my words heard, so I went up the stage and took the mike from Punjabi singer Jaspinder Narula. I shouted in favour of Bhai Gurbaksh Singh and raised slogans against the SAD-BJP government, but unfortunately, the mike was turned off and my voice did not reach the chief minister," he added.

Gurpreet said he reached the stadium in the bus the government had sent to the village to ferry people to the venue. He changed his seat and managed an entry into the VIP gallery.

He jumped from a height of 10 ft to land on the ground. His turban got untied, but he did not stop to pick it up. He rushed to the stage and took the mike from the singer. He also carried pamphlets, in which he expressed apology for the disturbance, to be distributed among spectators. Earlier, he had handed over his mobile phone and other belongings to one of his acquaintances, without disclosing his intention.

Gurpreet said the police took him to the control room set up in the stadium and later brought him to the CIA staff. The police interrogated him and also took his personal computer and mobile phone. Later, he was sent to the central jail here on judicial remand; he was bailed out on Saturday.

Gurpreet said he had never met Khalsa, but he was getting updates about his activities through news and social media.

Lost father, brother in 2000

Gurpreet Singh is the sole bread-winner of his family. His father, Rajwant Singh, died of tuberculosis in May 2000, while his brother was killed in a road mishap the same year. Gurpreet is married and has two daughters.