Kidnappers abandon two boys after making Rs 2 cr ransom call | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Kidnappers abandon two boys after making Rs 2 cr ransom call

punjab Updated: Jul 24, 2015 22:18 IST
HT Correspondent

The city police remained on their toes for hours on Thursday night after two unidentified persons kidnapped two boys, aged 13 and 6, from Hargobind Nagar locality of the city, then made a ransom call of Rs 2 crore and finally abandoned the minors at different locations.

The victims live in the same neighbourhood. The episode lasted for about six hours.

As per information, one of the kidnappers lured Raghav (6) with a cricket bat and ball into the Maruti 800 car he was sitting in at 7.30pm when the two kids were playing outside their homes.

The green-colour car did not have a registration plate, reports said. Raghav told the kidnapper that he would not sit in the car until Abhishek (13) accompanied him, to which the man agreed.

The kidnappers took both the boys in the car. After half-an-hour drive, they pushed Abhishek out of the car at Kahnpur village on the Jalandhar-Pathankot road and took Raghav along.

In the meantime, they called up Raghav's father Ram Kishan, a tyre dealer, and demanded Rs 2 crore as ransom for his son’s release. Ram Kishan thought it was a hoax call. In the meantime, Abhishek reached home and informed him about the incident.

Kishan informed the police and a team comprising additional deputy commissioner of police (ADCP crime) J Elanchezhian, ACP (crime) Harjinder Singh, ACP (North) Amneet Kondal, station house officer (SHO) Bimal Kant reached the spot started investigating the case.

The police started following the mobile location of the kidnappers. Around 10pm, the kidnappers made the second call on Kishan’s mobile phone and asked him to arrange the money to secure the release of his son.

After sensing that the police were following them, the kidnappers finally left Raghav outside a hotel in Phagwara around 1am. A highway patrol team spotted the child who was found crying on the roadside.

The highway patrol team informed the city police which brought Raghav back. The police questioned Majiv Shiekh, who had sold the mobile SIM from which the kidnappers made the ransom calls.

Shiekh told the police that he had sold the number to Parminder (17) who had got it in his father’s name. When questioned, Parminder said he had given the SIM to Sunny, the nephew of Ram Kishan, who runs a mobile shop in the same locality.

The police are looking for Sunny who is missing since the incident took place and his last mobile location was traced to Ambala in Haryana. A CCTV camera installed outside a garment showroom on Pathankot road has captured the car in which kidnappers abducted he minors.

Speaking to HT, Raghav said the kidnappers offered him juice in the car and he fall unconscious after drinking it.

He said the kidnappers were clean-shaven and also chided him. Abhishek has sustained minor injury on one of his shoulders after the abductors threw him out of the car at Kahnpur village.

The families of the two kids thanked the almighty on the the safe return of their wards. Abhishek's father Subash Kumar is a rickshaw puller.

SHO Bimal Kant said the police were yet to register a case in the incident after recording the statements of the families. Police teams are conducting raids to nab the kidnappers, the SHO said.