Labourer drinks acid by mistake, dies | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Labourer drinks acid by mistake, dies

punjab Updated: Jun 24, 2014 11:28 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

A man in an inebriated condition allegedly consumed acid mistaking it for liquor at his house at Bharti Colony in Salem Tabri area on late Sunday night.

The victim, Naresh Kumar, 34, was a labourer at the vegetable market.

His family told the police that Kumar was an acute drinker. He was already drunk when he returned home from work on Sunday when there was power outage in the area. Unable to see in the dark, Kumar picked up a bottle of acid that the family used as toilet cleaner, and consumed it after pouring it in a glass, thinking it was liquor.

As Kumar started vomiting and fell on the floor, his daughters, Aarti, 14, and Jayanti, 6, raised an alarm and informed their mother, Pinder, who was not at the home at that time.

The family then rushed Kumar to Dayanand Medical College and Hospital where he died during treatment.

Assistant sub-inspector (ASI) Kuldeep Singh at Salem Tabri police station, said they did not register any case in this context as it was a mishap.