Special assembly session summoned by Punjab governor VP Singh Badnore to discuss Sutlej-Yamuna Link (SYL) canal issue began in Chandigarh on Wednesday.
Earlier, Punjab chief minister Parkash Singh Badal declared that not a single drop of Punjab’s river waters will be allowed to flow out of the state, the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) on Tuesday asked the President to ignore the Supreme Court (SC) advice on the Punjab Termination of Agreements Act, 2004.
“Not even a single drop of water belonging to Punjab will be allowed to flow out of the state. Nor will we allow canal construction,” the SAD declared after its core group meeting, chaired by the Punjab chief minister.
The principal opposition party Congress’ legislators have already handed over their resignations to the Vidhan Sabha speaker, and the ruling Akali Dal-BJP government is exploring options to start legal and political battle.
Below are the live updates:
* Punjab assembly excluding Congress MLAs pays tributes to two soldiers of Punjab killed in Jammu and Kashmir during recent skirmish on the border.
* After obituary references in which tributes were paid to 10 people who died in recent past. Speaker adjourned the House till 10:30 am. The government is making last minutes changes in its legal and legislative strategy. Hence, the move to adjourn the House proceedings which Congress has boycotted.
* Punjab vidhan sabha move the resolution to seek royalty from outside state to which Punjab waters are supplied. House said during British rule royalty was imposed on Jind, Patiala, Nabha riyasats and on Bikaner. Riparian law was in working since 1873.
* People of Punjab suffer full brunt of the floods, as river affect the regions, whereas canals disperse water and not cause floods.
* House asked the government to take up the matter with centre, Rajasthan and Delhi to impose royalty on water from Rajasthan, Haryana and Delhi since November 11, 1966.
* Punjab vidhan sabha also passed a resolution issuing instructions to all government departments and officers and staff members to not to give permission to any agency for construction of SYL canal.
(With inputs from Pawan Sharma and Gurpreet Singh Nibber)