Records of the past decade were destroyed in a major fire that broke out at the income tax department’s building at Maharishi Valmiki Nagar on Sunday morning.
Manual records belonging to large industrial houses, such as Hero Cycles, Avon Cycles, Aarti Steels, Vardhman and several others were destroyed in the fire that broke out at around 9.45 am.
Fortunately, employees were not present at the location as it was a holiday on the account of it being a Sunday. Even though the exact reason behind the fire remains unclear, officials claim it could be due to short circuit.
DB Goel, Income Tax commissioner, said the exact reason behind the fire was not clear yet. However, it was suspected that a short circuit led to the fire. He said they were looking into the matter. After conducting an inspection, he could comment more about the gutted records.