Advertisement

HindustanTimes Mon,21 Apr 2014

1984 anti-Sikh riots: HC says form SIT to probe illegal possession of victims' flats

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Chandigarh, February 22, 2013
First Published: 21:49 IST(22/2/2013) | Last Updated: 01:29 IST(23/2/2013)

The Punjab and Haryana high court on Friday issued directions to constitute a three-member special investigation team (SIT) to inquire into the allegations of illegal occupation of flats constructed in Dugri, Ludhiana, for the 1984 anti-Sikh riot victims.

Advertisement


An officer of the rank of superintendent of police will head the SIT.

Hearing a petition filed by Kalyan Singh and Jasbir Singh of Sahnewal, Ludhiana, the division bench headed by justice Surya Kant also directed the Ludhiana deputy commissioner (DC) to complete all formalities, including scrutiny of documents for draw of lots for the vacant flats, by March 31.

The directions were issued when the court came to know that the Ludhiana police had filed a closure report in an FIR registered on February 10, 2011, by the estate officer, Greater Ludhiana Area Development Authority (GLADA), at the Dugri police station, stating illegal occupation of 85 flats constructed for 1984 anti-Sikh riot victims.

Mukhtiar Singh, assistant commissioner of police, Ludhiana, had informed the court through his affidavit that as no offence was made out during the investigation and as such untraced report had been prepared in the FIR.

The FIR had mentioned names of Surjit Singh, Gurdeep Kaur, Satnam Singh and nearly 100 unidentified persons for occupying and damaging flats.

The petitioners had alleged that Surjit Singh, who is an influential person, had a major role in illegal occupation of flats by various persons.

Appearing for the petitioners, advocate GS Ghuman had sought directions for handing over the case to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to probe into the illegal possession of flats constructed for 1984 anti-Sikh riot victims.

He said the DC and the GLADA were not considering the genuine cases of the petitioners even after 28 years.

The court was informed that through a draw of lots conducted on October 12, 2010, 545 flats were allotted to the victims. However, still there are 211 flats for which draw of lots is to be conducted.

As per the earlier directions of the high court, the Ludhiana deputy commissioner and senior superintendent of police were present in the court during the hearing of the case on Friday.

The case would now come up for hearing on April 3.

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement
Advertisement

 
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved