Maid rape: 9 months on, prime accused Dhall surrenders finally | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Maid rape: 9 months on, prime accused Dhall surrenders finally

punjab Updated: May 13, 2014 22:08 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

With two days to go for hearing in the rape case of his 16-year-old maid, prime accused businessman Harbans Dhall on Tuesday surrendered before the court, which sent him to judicial custody.

The police, after having failed to trace Dhall in the past nine months since he was booked, claim it was due to the pressure they put that he surrendered.

The accused appeared in the court of civil judge (junior division) Lovejinder Kaur around 11 am.

The judge sent him to 14 days of judicial custody and set May 27 as the next date of hearing.

The other three accused — Dhall's wife, his daughter-in-law and Dr Amrit Kaur — are still absconding.

On the other hand, the Bhargo camp police said it would bring him on production warrant on May 17 for interrogation in this case.

The case against the accused was registered at the Bhargo camp police station.SHO Rachpal Singh said they would interrogate Dhall to nab other accused and hence they procured production warrant for May 17.

Meanwhile, the victim's mother expressed hope that other accused would also be nabbed soon.

On May 12, HT carried a report in which the victim's mother alleged that the family members of 65-year-old businessman visited her house several times in the last few days pressuring her to reach a compromise. She further claimed that they threatened her family with dire consequences if they did not strike a compromise.

"I want justice for my daughter and will not budge an inch on that," she had said bursting into tears on that day.

The 16-year-old victim was working at businessman Dhall's house as a maid for the past three years on a monthly salary of Rs 1,500.

On September 25 last year, the victim in her complaint to the police said that Dhall allegedly raped her several times when he was alone at home and threatened her with dire consequences if she told others of this. On September 15, Dhall's wife and daughter-in-law allegedly came to the victim's house and took her to a private hospital where doctors found that the girl to be pregnant.