Majithia takes stock of arrangements at Jatti Umra
In view of the forthcoming visit of Pakistan-Punjab chief minister Shahbaz Sharif to Punjab on Sunday, Punjab public relations minister Bikram Majithia on Wednesday visited Jatti Umra village, the ancestral village of Sharifs, to take stock of the arrangements for the high-profile visit.punjab Updated: Dec 11, 2013 22:49 IST
In view of the forthcoming visit of Pakistan-Punjab chief minister Shahbaz Sharif to Punjab on Sunday, Punjab public relations minister Bikram Majithia on Wednesday visited Jatti Umra village, the ancestral village of Sharifs, to take stock of the arrangements for the high-profile visit.
During his visit to the village, Majithia met villagers and asked the district administration officers to give a facelift to the village.
However, the works of cleaning and paving of street have already been started for Shahbaz visit, whose ancestors were born and brought up in this small village of Tarn Taran district.
Talking to reporters about Shahbaz's visit, Majithia said: "The consent of Shahbaz, younger brother of Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, has once again set the ball rolling for stability and strengthening of confidence building measures,"said Majithia.
"What could not be resolved by 65 years' of confrontation, can be achieved through mutual interaction and people-to-people contact,"added Majithia.
Terming the visit of Pakistan-Punjab CM as silver linings in clouds, Majithia said it was an opportunity for both the sides to revive the bilateral trade.
"The visit is expected not only to bring closer the Easter and Western Punjab, but has far reaching implications,"believed Majithia.
The Punjab cabinet minister said the visit of deputy chief minister Sukhbir Badal to Pakistan last year broke the ice and paved way for Shahbaz's visit.
Shahbaz itinerary sent to Punjab got
* Arrives in New Delhi
* Scheduled to visit a thermal power plant in Uttar Pradesh
* Visits another power plant at Jhajjar in Haryana
* Reaches Mohali airport at 7pm. Deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal to receive him along with other ministers.
* Chief minister Badal hosts a dinner at Nature Park at Mohali.
* Night stay at Taj Hotel in Chandigarh.
* Sharif will spend the day in Ludhiana. Visits Punjab Agriculture University (PAU)
* Joint press conference with Sukhbir on the theme "Punjab-Punjab cooperation"
* To be the chief guest at the closing ceremony of the Kabaddi World Cup
* Visits Talwandi Sabo thermal power plant
* Badal hosts a private lunch at his village
* Before winding up the tour, Sharif will visit his ancestral village Jatti Umra and the Golden Temple.