A fire broke out at a warehouse of wooden boxes near Dana Mandi, Karabara Chowk, on Monday.
However, firefighters averted a major tragedy as they timely controlled the fire at the warehouse, which is located near a petrol pump.
A truck, cycles, moving carts, machines and a generator set, besides numerous wooden boxes, were gutted in the fire, leading to loss in lakhs.
As the fire broke out around 3pm, passers-by came forward to put out the fire with buckets of water, after sounding the fire wing that reached the spot and took around two hours to douse the fire.
Fire wing official Rajinder Shar ma said they got a call around 3:10 pm about the mishap, following which they sent five f i re tenders to the spot, and later also called in a JCB machine.
Sharma added that the exact reason for the fire was not clear, but it was possible that someone disposed of a burning cigarette or “beedi” near the wooden boxes, which led to the fire.