Malerkotla shooting: Victim accuses cops of inaction

  • Gagandeep Singh Gill, Hindustan Times, Sangrur
  • Updated: Aug 25, 2015 23:47 IST

The echo of police firing on two unarmed men at Malerkotla on August 18 refuses to fade into silence.

For the police it's a 'closed case' with the family of the two victims not willing to further pursue the case while one of the injured Sunil alleged that the police are not taking any action against their own accused personnel.

Senior superintendent of police PPS Thind told HT that, "Statements of both the victim brothers have been recorded." They had stated that they became nervous when asked to stop at a naka and sped away. Suspecting them to be criminals, the police chased and fired at them following which they suffered injuries. It was a case of mistaken identity, Thind said. Thind also said that Sunil, in his statement, gave the name of three policemen who were allegedly involved in the incident.
Sunil said, "The police had recorded his statement on August 23 and he had given the names of three cops who were involved in the firing." He had named Kewal Krishan, Daljit and Gurmel.

Sunil denied that they or their family was not under any pressure from the police for a compromise. He questioned as to why no action was being taken against the three cops, whom he had already named. While no police official was willing to come on record, sources in the police said that there was no question of putting any pressure on the victims and their families.

Inquiries revealed that some persons belonging to Dera Sacha Sauda, Sirsa, were acting as mediators for a compromise between the police and two victims, but have been unsuccessful so far.

Deputy superintendent of police, Dhuri, Nahar Singh, said, "The case is under investigation and arrest if any would be made thereafter." He confirmed that Sunil had given three names to the police.

also read

Mehar Mittal’s last interview: On comedy, God, and the desire to open a school
Show comments