Man dies due to alcohol overdose | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 28, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Man dies due to alcohol overdose

A 70-year-old nambardar, Sohan Singh, a resident of Ramu Thiara village, died on Sunday due to an overdose of liquor suspected to have been supplied by the supporters of a candidate.

punjab Updated: May 19, 2013 18:53 IST
HT Correspondent

A 70-year-old nambardar, Sohan Singh, a resident of Ramu Thiara village, died on Sunday due to an overdose of liquor suspected to have been supplied by the supporters of a candidate.

The family admitted that he had taken liquor. It also rubbished reports that the alcohol was 'gifted' as an election freebie.

Staff at the local civil hospital said an unconscious Singh was brought to the hospital at around 6:50 am. He died two hours later, with doctors recording the cause of death as an overdose of alcohol.

Villagers said Sohan Singh was a habitual drinker and last night too he had his full.

Certain Congress leaders of the area alleged that liquor was supplied to him by the SAD, a claim denied vociferously by the family.

Meanwhile, reports of parties supplying liquor to woo voters poured in from various parts of the district. Sources alleged that in almost every zone, liquor was supplied to homes by the ruling alliance members. They alleged that other parties could not replicate this practice as they only had limited access to liquor, as directed to the liquor stores and excise officials by the SAD hierarchy.