Man ends life over police inaction in son’s murder case, kin protest in Mansa | punjab$bhatinda | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 07, 2016-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Man ends life over police inaction in son’s murder case, kin protest in Mansa

punjab Updated: Oct 24, 2016 15:53 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Family of the suicide victim blocking a road in Mansa. (HT Photo)

Upset over police inaction in the murder of his 16- year-old son Tarsem Singh, 48, of Dharampura village committed suicide by consuming a poisonous substance here on Saturday. The family of Tarsem Singh has not cremated the body and has been sitting on a protest in Bareta.

Tarsem’s 16-year-old son Daljit Singh was murdered in August due to some old enmity by a group of people.

The Bareta police had then booked seven people, identified as Leela Singh, Gurpyar Singh, Vicky Singh, Satgur Singh, Buta Singh, Satnam Singh and Avtar Singh.

Tarsem’s family alleged that the main accused Leela Singh was given preferential treatment by the station house officer (SHO) of the Bareta police station. Within a month of the murder, the police nabbed four of the seven accused. Howeve,r the family maintains that whenever they approached the police to enquire about the case, the cops didn’t listen to them and threatened them with dire consequences.

“SHO Balwant Singh and DSP Lakhvir Singh never heeded to our pleas and even threatened Tarsem Singh of booking him under a false case. Tarsem was under stress and always feared that he would be implicated in a false case by the police and he committed suicide,” said one of his family members.

However, some senior police officers, on the condition of anonymity, had a different story to tell. “Tarsem’s brothers-in-law took money from some of the accused to settle the case, due to which the police went slow against the accused. Tarsem was not aware that his own brothers-in-law Makhan Singh and Malkeet Singh have taken money to settle the case. This revelation shocked Tarsem and he committed suicide,” said a senior cop.

Another cop said, “Deputy superintendent of police (DSP) Lakhvir Singh told Tarsem that his brothers-in-law had allegedly struck a compromise with the accused and taken money from them. Tarsem got upset over this revelation, and he committed suicide. Now to hide their own wrongdoing, his brothers-in-law are blaming the DSP for the death of Tarsem and want a case of abetment to suicide registered against him. The brothers-in-law are hand-in-glove with SHO Balwant Singh and they all want to shift the responsibility on to the DSP.

The family has been protesting for the past two days demanding strict action against the police officers, including SHO Balwant Singh, who, they said, pushed Tarsem Singh to commit suicide.

The body is still lying in the mortuary and the family has not allowed the post mortem. Mansa SSP Mukhwinder Singh Bhullar held a meeting with the family members late evening on Sunday, but to no avail.