Man rescued from tubewell after five days | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Man rescued from tubewell after five days

punjab Updated: Dec 09, 2014 20:39 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

A 43-year-old man was miraculously saved after staying in a 40-ft deep tubewell at the main park of Adarsh Nagar in ward number 37 for five days. He had accidently fallen into the tubewell on December 4 at around 11.30 pm, while he was searching for a place to answer nature's call.

The victim, who has been identified as Ramesh Kumar alias Bittu, a resident of Basti Guzan, suffered serious head and back injuries after falling into the tubewell and also fractured his left leg due to the impact of the fall.

Bittu said, "I was crossing the park at around 11.30 pm and had an urge to answer nature's call. It was dark inside the park as there were no lights. While I was looking for a corner, I slipped into the tubewell and lost consciousness as my head banged into the wall. I regained my senses after more than 24 hours and tried to seek help."

However, no one realised that he was stuck in the tubewell. It was on Tuesday morning that a passerby, Rohit, heard some noises and peeped into the tubewell to find Bittu holed up in the pit.

Meanwhile, narrating his ordeal, Bittu said, "For around 24 hours, I was lying unconscious in the 40-ft deep pit. Finally when I regained consciousness, I realised that I was unable to move and my left foot was numb. Somehow, I mustered courage and shouted for help, but to no avail."

He added, "Since Thursday night, I braved the darkness and the mosquito bites and survived without any food or water. As I saw sunlight falling in the pit, I regained my confidence and shouted for help but when three days passed, I was exhausted. I kept cursing my fate. It was only on Tuesday when I saw a man peeping into the pit that I thanked the almighty and knew my life would be saved."

Onlookers who were present at the spot said though the tubewell was covered, doors and windows of the enclosure were missing and it was dangerous to venture around at night.

Being the main park in the area, it is frequented by many children from the locality and the dilapidated condition of the enclosure can also prove fatal.

After being rescued, the victim was admitted to the trauma care center and is undergoing treatment at the civil hospital here. His condition is said to be stable and doctors said since he had received serious head and neck injuries, he would be kept under observation for some time.