Millionaire held for killing NRI brother | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 31, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Millionaire held for killing NRI brother

punjab Updated: Jun 06, 2013 19:29 IST
HT Correspondent

The local police on Wednesday arrested a 62-year-old NRI for allegedly hacking his septuagenarian brother to death.

The decomposed body of Kulwant Singh (75), who was settled in England, was found at his house at Mahima Singh Wala village in Dehlon on May 31.

The accused, Jaswant Singh, who is also settled in England, was on Thursday produced before the court that remanded him in police custody till June 8.

The public prosecutor made a plea before the court of duty magistrate that the police were yet to recover the weapon used in the crime and clothes of the accused. After hearing pleas of both parties, the court sent the NRI to police remand.

Kulwant had come to Mahima Singh Wala village in February this year over a property feud against Jaswant. He had filed a case against Jaswant, following which the latter came to Ludhiana on May 13 and was staying in Ghumar Mandi.

According to the investigation of special investigation team (SIT) comprising officers of CIA staff-1, Jaswant was feeling humiliated by attitude of Kulwant. The SIT claimed that Jaswant had told the police that he came to Ludhiana from England to appear before the court for hearing of the property case, and was being harassed by his brother.

Therefore, to get rid of the harassment, Jaswant hatched a conspiracy to kill Kulwant, who used to live alone in their palatial house at their ancestral village, Mahima Singh Wala.

The SIT told the court that on May 20, Jaswant visited his brother around 1:30 pm, and there hacked his brother to death with a sharp-edged weapon, and fled from the back wall after locking the house from inside.

According to inspector Harpal Singh, incharge at CIA Staff-1, after the crime, Jaswant threw the weapon and his blood-stained clothes in a canal near Aasi Bridge, and returned to his house in Ghumar Mandi.
Later, to escape the police, Jaswant left for Malaysia and was come back to Ludhiana on May 28, assuming that the police would recover the body in his absence and would not suspect him.

However, the body was recovered on May 31, following which the police had registered a case of murder against unidentified accused after the statement of sarpanch Joginder, who had first found the body, and initiated investigation.

Inspector Harpal Singh said the police had investigated the matter from all aspects, but Jaswant was under police scanner from the first day. After collecting evidences against Jaswant, police arrested him. On being questioned, the accused confessed to his crime, Singh claimed. A bunch of keys was also recovered from Jaswant, he added.

Victim was reluctant for compromise

The police said Jaswant possessed a pizza chain in England and was a millionaire. Their late father was in Singapore police. Inspector Harpal said Jaswant claimed that he had not killed his brother for money or piece of land.

Jaswant claimed that he had given Kulwant his part from the property, but he had grabbed their palatial house that they had renovated in 2005 at a cost of Rs 1.5 crore, adding that Kulwant had later filed a case against him in court over his part in the house.

He claimed Kulwant was not taking care of the house properly, and also had not fed the pet birds that had eventually died. Jaswant said as he was finding it hard to come to Ludhiana to appear before the court, and therefore had offered 3 acres to Kulwant to withdraw the case, but he was reluctant.

Police said Jaswant was a philanthropist, and had spent Rs 70 lakh to make a sports stadium in the village, and also appointed a coach to train the youths, besides helping the underprivileged.