"Mission Ludhiana", the dream project of deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, seems to be falling flat even before its start as the sewerage board has asked the municipal corporation to either clear the dues or takeover the three sewerage treatment plants (STP) by December 15.
On the one hand, Badal promised to upgrade the three STPs in the city and on the other hand, the sewerage board had issued notice to the municipal corporation to clear dues worth Rs 3 crore for this financial year.
In the notice, the sewerage board has stated that it will no longer take care of the operations of the plants in case the dues are not cleared. The board takes care of the three plants.
The board had been asking the MC since long to clear the dues on regular interval. However, due to financial crunch the MC has not been able to clear the dues which now resulted in a fresh controversy regarding the STPs.
The three STPs are 161 MLD STP at Bhattian, 48 MLD STP at Jamalpur and 152 MLD STP at Balloke.
In a fresh move, the sewerage board has shot off a notice to the MC asking them to deposit Rs 3 crore for 2012.
Interestingly, in an official statement Badal had said that upgrading of the three STPs would be done under the "Mission Ludhiana" project.
On September 30, Badal had announced "Mission Ludhiana" at Chandigarh in which several developmental projects were proposed for Ludhiana, including upgrading of three STPs.
On November 17, when the transformer at the Bhattian treatment plant developed snag, the areas around it were the worst hit as untreated sewage started flowing out of the plant, emanating a foul smell.
Executive engineer of the water supply and sewerage board AK Jindal said the notice regarding finance and maintenance had been sent to the MC.
Officials in MC said as the MC was facing shortage of funds, it would not be possible to deposit the amount.