Narrow escape for kite-flyers using Chinese string | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 21, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Narrow escape for kite-flyers using Chinese string

The festival of Basant Panchmi could have proved fatal for the children who were flying kites with the Chinese string (dor) in the Narain Nagar locality as the string got entangled with high voltage electric wires, causing short circuit.

punjab Updated: Feb 05, 2014 00:09 IST
HT Correspondent

The festival of Basant Panchmi could have proved fatal for the children who were flying kites with the Chinese string (dor) in the Narain Nagar locality as the string got entangled with high voltage electric wires, causing short circuit.


The kite-flyers had a narrow escape as the metal wire in the string could have led to electric shock, but residents of the area had to bear the brunt of their negligence. A number of electric appliances were rendered useless. Rajya Sabha member Avinash Rai Khanna, who incidentally had taken up the matter with the Punjab State Human Rights Commission (PSHRC) last year and demanded strict directions to the state to ban its sale and use, also suffered losses as many electric gadgets including computer, fridge, bulbs, tea-making machine and electric clock were damaged in his office.

Around noon, there was a blast in the high voltage wires which led to disruption of power supply in the area. As people came out to see what happened, they found that some children were trying to disentangle the 'dor' from the live wires.

They immediately informed the electricity control room but, by that time the damage had been done. Powercom staff corrected the fault and restored the supply in half an hour.

It is pertinent to mention that the district magistrate has banned the sale and use of Chinese string under Section 144 of CrPC but the orders are not being implemented."Every year we come across many instances of the China dor putting lives to risk but its use continues. The administration as well as the parents must take the matter seriously," said Khanna.