No arrest yet in GNDU molestation case, accused professor absconding | punjab$amritsar | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

No arrest yet in GNDU molestation case, accused professor absconding

punjab Updated: Jan 21, 2016 19:57 IST
Shaheen P Parshad

The city police are yet to arrest Sajid Hussain, a professor of the department of microbiology of Guru Nanak Dev University (GNDU), who has been accused of molesting two girl students of the department days after registration of a case against him. The professor, who is a resident of Aligarh, has been absconding after the incident in December.

While the cops claim to be investigating the matter, no special team has yet been constituted to conduct raids to nab the accused, who is reported to have fled to Aligarh, his hometown.

The accused had allegedly molested the girls in his office after calling them there after promising good grades in practical examination. Evidently upset, the girls had approached the authorities concerned with a complaint in this regard. Taking cognisance of their complaint, the university Syndicate had suspended him at a meeting held on December 31. After that the accused was not seen at the university campus.

After a complaint was lodged with the police, they took some time in analysing the same and seeking legal opinion before registering a case against the professor under section 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) of the IPC on the complaint of Sukhdev Singh, security officer, GNDU, that apparently gave the accused time to flee.

Inspector Sukhjinder Singh, SHO, Cantonment Police Station, said that the accused probably left the university campus soon after his suspension. “The accused is absconding as he has not been seen at campus,” he said.

Stating that investigations were on, the SHO said that the police were mulling forming raiding teams to arrest the accused. “If need arises, these teams shall also be sent to conduct raids at his hometown,” he said. He said that there was a possibility that the accused was likely to return to the university in a few days.

“There are also speculations that he may surrender before the police in the days to come,” the SHO maintained.