No prompt treatment to girl with burn injuries
The kin of a minor girl who received severe burns due to electrocution have alleged that prompt treatment was not given to her at the burns unit of Lord Mahavira civil hospital in Ludhiana, after which the minor was taken away.punjab Updated: Oct 22, 2012 23:22 IST
The kin of a minor girl who received severe burns due to electrocution have alleged that prompt treatment was not given to her at the burns unit of Lord Mahavira civil hospital in Ludhiana, after which the minor was taken away.
It is pertinent to mention here that despite repeated assurances, the department of health and family welfare has failed to upgrade the burns unit at the hospital.
Pushpa, mother of 12-year-old Sandeep, alleged that proper treatment had not been ensured to her daughter soon after she was brought to the hospital on Sunday.
Sandeep, a Class 5 student, had suffered deep burn injuries on her feet, neck and other parts of body after she was electrocuted while playing on the roof of an under-construction building.
Pushpa claimed that her wounds were not dressed for at least 23 hours after she was admitted to the hospital. She rued that the family could not afford treatment at a private hospital.
During a visit to the ward where Sandeep, a resident of Sahnewal, was admitted, she was found weeping and pestering her mother to move from the hospital. The girl said that she was suffering unbearable pain.
Pushpa, who works in a factory, said that she wished to take her daughter to Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, for treatment.
Later, Pushpa took her badly injured daughter from the civil hospital.
When contacted, Dr S Kaushal, surgical specialist at the civil hospital, maintained that antibiotics were administered to the patient since Sunday. He said that he had directed the staff concerned to ensure proper treatment and dressing to the minor girl.
A doctor had on Sunday claimed that the parents of the girl took her to another hospital due to her serious condition.
Sources said that a new building of the burns unit was built in the civil hospital but there was lack of super specialists, plastic surgeons and infrastructure to run it properly.
Senior medical officer Dr Karamvir Goyal said that the new burns unit would be started soon, admitting that requisite staff was not available at present.