No trace of teenagers drowned in Beas yet | punjab$amritsar | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 19, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

No trace of teenagers drowned in Beas yet

Authorities are yet to get a trace of the teenagers who are feared dead after they drowned in Beas river on Sunday. Despite the cops of two police districts-Batala and Hoshiarpur- aided by teams of National Disaster Response Force(NDRF) and army working overtime to locate the three youths, they have not succeeded so far.

punjab Updated: Mar 28, 2017 13:11 IST
HT Correspondent
Teams of the Army and NDRF searching for the youths in Beas river on Sunday.
Teams of the Army and NDRF searching for the youths in Beas river on Sunday.(HT Photo)

Authorities are yet to get a trace of the teenagers who are feared dead after they drowned in Beas river on Sunday. Despite the cops of two police districts-Batala and Hoshiarpur- aided by teams of National Disaster Response Force(NDRF) and army working overtime to locate the three youths, they have not succeeded so far.

A group of four youths, aged between 15 and 17, had gone to Balley village situated on the edge of Beas river to take a dip in the river. While swimming, three of them — Ravinder Singh, Narinder Singh and Karan Kumar —started drowning due to the heavy current of water in the mid of river while one of them, Harvinder Singh, managed to survive.

Subsequently after the incident, divers from adjoining villages started searching for the youths but failed.

Later, teams of divers from PAP (Punjab Armed Police) Jalandhar rushed to spot and started a search operation with the help of motorboats and flood lights.

Also Read | 3 Class 10 boys feared drowned in Beas at Sri Hargobindpur

Talking to HT, Batala SDM Prithi Singh, who himself was supervising the search operations said that on Monday morning, professional divers from NDRF, Army and police were pressed into service. Instead of two motorboats, manual boats were also lowered into the river but they too failed to achieve the desired results.

“Since morning, we had searched more than one kilometre of the area. To search the bodies on the edges of the river, JCB machines were rushed from Batala that pulled out the weeds and trees which were stuck up in the mud.”

A villager said the administration have botched up the operation. “The youths were drowned in the river around 11 am on Sunday morning. However, the search was started three hours later. Moreover, to compound the matters, the cops and divers from PAP started the search from the point where the youths had drowned. Instead, they should have commenced the operation downstream at least two kilometres away from the point as by the time the divers commenced the operation, the bodies might have floated away,” he said.