Not paid salary for 15 months, teachersto boycott examination duty at varsities | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Not paid salary for 15 months, teachersto boycott examination duty at varsities

punjab Updated: May 02, 2015 08:32 IST
HT Correspondent

This is the third time the union has decided to boycott the examination duty.

Irked with non-payment of salaries for the past 15 months, members of the Punjab and Chandigarh College Teachers Union (PCCTU) have decided to boycott university exam duty between May 15 and 22.

The union will boycott examination duty in all three universities — Panjab University, Chandigarh; Punjabi University, Patiala; and Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar.

The Punjab government had released a grant of `35 crore to 92 grant-aid-colleges in December last year, but the amount released was not sufficient, and teachers could be given salary of only three months.

Talking to Hindustan Times, Kuldeep Singh, state president of the union, said, “In a joint action committee (JAC) meeting held at Arya College, Ludhiana, on Friday, we have decided to boycott the examination duty for two exams. The dates will be finalised in the next meeting on May 11. After the May 11 meeting, we will send a representation to the three universities that we will not perform examination duty on these two days.”

He added, “We don’t want to boycott the examination duty, but the government has left us with no option. Our purpose to boycott the examination duty is not to harass the students, but to wake up the government. It has become impossible for teachers to meet their daily needs without salaries.”

He said, “The state government funds 95% of the salaries to grant-in-aid colleges and the remaining 5% is paid to teachers by the college managements. But for how many more months the college managements could pay salaries to teachers from their own pocket, as the government is not bothered to release the grants.”

Last year in December, Panjab University had to postpone two exams scheduled on December 15 and 19 due to the teachers boycotting the exam duty. In April 2014 also, the union had boycotted the examination duty during two exams.