Travellers waiting for their train can now easily download a book, songs or a game to keep themselves busy during the journey, with the much-awaited Wi-Fi facility becoming operational at the Chandigarh railway station on Saturday.
After missing two deadlines, the free facility has finally been commissioned by RailTel, a public sector undertaking, in collaboration with Google. The users can get up to 40 megabits per second (mbps) speed on their devices for one hour, beyond which the internet speed will come down to 1 mbps, said the Chandigarh RailTel senior manager.
Ambala divisional railways manager Dinesh Kumar said: “We tied up with Google, following which its representatives visited the Chandigarh station to check the feasibility.” Kumar said the Wi-Fi for the time being is on experimental basis, and all visitors to the railway station can use it by following simple steps (see box).
“In near future, only those with a passenger name record (PNR) number will be able to access the facility,” he said.
How to log in
1) Open available Wi-Fi networks in the settings tab
2) Connect to ‘railwire SSID’
3) On the sign-in screen, enter your mobile number, and click on ‘Receive SMS’.
4) Use the four-digit pincode you receive to connect to the free service.
5) At present anyone can use the service. In future, PNR number will be needed to log in.