NRI hotelier murder: Body handed over to friend; cremation in UK in three days | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

NRI hotelier murder: Body handed over to friend; cremation in UK in three days

punjab Updated: Jun 07, 2015 10:25 IST
Jatinder Kohli
Jatinder Kohli
Hindustan Times


The body of Punjab-born UK hotelier Ranjit Singh Power (54) was handed over to his friend Darshan Singh, a UK-based NRI with roots in Jalandhar, on Saturday, and would be transported to the deceased's hometown Wolverhampton city in the United Kingdom for cremation. Power's body was fished out from an Ambala canal on Monday.

Police remain unclear on the motive behind the murder, but claim to have gathered from a co-accused that Power had arrived in Amritsar on May 8 to settle a business dispute with old friend Baldev Singh Deol, and the latter, along with his distant nephew taxi driver Sukhdev Singh, had kidnapped and strangulated him and then thrown his body into the Bhakra canal near Anandpur Sahib in Rupnagar district. Deol has since absconded, while Sukhdev has been in custody and was remanded to further three-day police remand on Saturday.

Representatives of John Pinto International Private Limited, a funeral and embalming firm, along with Darshan were handed over the possession of the body from the mortuary of the Sacred Heart Hospital.

Darshan said the body would be in the UK in three days and would be cremated there.

"The family of the deceased, including his son and the daughter, are traumatised and did not want to travel to India. On their request, permission to transport the body was taken," said Darshan.

Interestingly, even as the body leaves the country and the main accused Deol is still at large and has reportedly been sighted in the UK, the police claim that the three-day remand of Sukhdev would help it recover the briefcase of Power that contained 3,000 pounds (around `3 lakh) and clothes.

"We have completed the process of issuing a red-corner notice on Deol and informed the Interpol," a senior police official said, adding that the UK embassy had been informed and officials were being kept in the loop.