Other face of social networking site:Lucknow woman kills self in Nabha | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Other face of social networking site:Lucknow woman kills self in Nabha

punjab Updated: Aug 16, 2013 22:53 IST
Vishal Rambani

An affair on social networking site Facebook followed by a court marriage without involving the families ended in suicide by a 22-year-old Lucknow woman at a local hotel here on Wednesday night.

Preeti Singh had arrived here around four days back to meet husband Amarvir Singh, 22, a resident of Gunike village, 7km from here, who had snapped contact with her after days of their marriage in May and had switched off his mobile phone for the past three weeks.

Upset at the "humiliation" by her in-laws, who said they had disowned their son after the marriage, the victim hanged herself at a hotel here.

Amarvir, who is jobless, belongs to a farming family. Preeti, in her suicide note, blamed Amarvir for cheating her and his father Kuldeep Singh, mother Balbir Kaur and his cousin for insulting her when she had reached Gunike village.

The police have registered a case against the four, who are on the run, and are on the lookout for them.

Preeti's parents, who reached Nabha, were handed over the body after the post-mortem.

Their relationship started as the two became friends on Facebook in January this year. Later, they met on a train in Ambala in February and decided to marry.

Preeti reached Chandigarh in May by making an excuse to her family, where Amarvir met her and they married at a gurdwara. Then they filed a writ petition in the high court demanding protection.

The very next day, Preeti returned to Lucknow and Amarvir came back to Nabha. As he sounded his family, they rejected the relationship following which Amarvir decided to snap ties with Preeti. For the past three weeks, Amarvir had switched off his mobile phone, so Preeti decided to visit Nabha.

"After sounding her brother of the marriage and saying that from now on she would live with her in-laws, Preeti reached Nabha. As the family did not accept her and humiliated her, she rented a room at a hotel here and committed suicide by hanging herself from a ceiling fan," said inspector Amanpal Singh Virk.