A day after six persons were killed when a liquor vend-cum-tavern collapsed in Sector 26, it has come to light that the owner of the site next to the shop was doing digging work without any approval from the UT estate office.
In its detailed report, UT estate office has urged the Chandigarh Municipal Corporation to take action against the owner, Jeevan Kumar Jindal.
Speaking to HT, MC joint commissioner Rajiv Gupta said, “We will resume the site and not tolerate such violations.”
Jindal, along with contractor Ashok Kumar, had been booked on Monday under Sections 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), 109 (punishment of abetment), 427 (mischief causing damage to the amount of Rs 50) of the IPC.
Surjit Singh, sub-divisional officer with the building branch, estate office, said, “We have checked our records and found that, the owner had not taken any approval. We have sent the report to the DC, who will forward it to the MC.”
How the illegal digging work which was on for about a week didn’t come to the notice of UT estate officials is the big question nobody is ready to answer.
Meanwhile, SDM Prince Dhawan visited the area on Tuesday and ordered resumption of another site where he detected an illegal basement.