Patient dies at nursing home; family protests alleging medical negligence | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 20, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Patient dies at nursing home; family protests alleging medical negligence

punjab Updated: Jul 23, 2014 19:38 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

High drama was witnessed outside Arora Nursing Home near Baba Than Singh Chowk on Wednesday after family members of a deceased patient, Jyoti, accused the medical staff of negligence in treatment.

The protest led to a traffic jam for over an hour on the Shingar Cinema road, until the police reached the spot, pacified the protesters and recorded their statement.

Sunny, a resident of Kucha No 16, Islam Ganj, alleged that doctors didn't treat his wife, Jyoti, 20, because they failed to submit the treatment fee sought by the doctors.

His mother said, "We brought Jyoti to the nursing hospital on July 20 as she had high fever and was coughing badly. Since then, doctors kept demanding money for treatment, and on Tuesday evening demanded `20,000 to continue treatment, following which we sought a day to deposit the money. But the doctors said they would treat Jyoti further only once the money was deposited. Later, she died for want of treatment."

Refuting the allegations, Dr DP Singh Arora of Arora Nursing Home, said the patient was brought with acute asthma and chest pain. "Doctors started her treatment and on that very day asked the attendants to take her to Christian Medical College and Hospital, but attendants requested that patient should be treated there as they couldn't afford treatment at another hospital," he added.

He said the patient was treated well and also showed signs of recovery. On Tuesday night drip was not administered to patient as it was not required, but was administered on Wednesday. Around 8am, she had an asthma attack, when her attendants were advised to rush the patient to CMCH for treatment, but they stopped the doctor from calling an ambulance and thus the patient died of an asthma attack, Dr Arora claimed.

He claimed that treatment was never stopped, let alone for the sake of money, adding that in fact the patient's attendants were repeatedly asked to shift the patient, but they didn't pay heed.
Division Number 3 police recorded statements of both sides and sent the body for post-mortem examination. Inspector Sandeep Kumar said statements had been recorded and action would be initiated accordingly.