Punjab and Haryana high court's orders to prepare a fresh merit list for 849 posts of Physical Training Instructors (PTIs), advertised and recruited by the Punjab education department in 2006, has jeopardised the career of nearly 500 such employees. These PTIs now fear loss of jobs, even though the department had regularised them.
The Physical Training Instructors Union of Punjab has requested the Punjab CM to intervene. They allege that the education department had failed to present the facts before the court in a proper manner.
President of PTI Union Punjab Ajit Pal Singh said that these appointments were made in the wake of advertisement dated October 21, 2006, and the appointment orders were issued on November 25, 2006.
"We have rendered more than five years of service with sincerity and due diligence. We have been confirmed as per the applicable service rules. What will be our future if department opts to prepare fresh merit list as per the directions of high court? The education department's approach is responsible for the current situation," he said.
As many as 44 writ petitions were filed to challenge the appointments by those applicants who were not considered by the department while preparing merit lists as their qualifications were higher than desired.
These petitions were adjudicated along with CWP number 19603 of 2006 titled 'Jagjeet Singh Vs. State of Punjab and Others' vide common judgment dated December 16, 2008 by a division bench of the high court, whereby the petitions were dismissed and appointments made were upheld.
"Thereafter, the judgment was challenged before the Supreme Court by way of various Special Leave Petitions and the same were dismissed as withdrawn vide order dated July 13, 2009.
"The appointment were upheld and affirmed in all respects up to highest court of the country. The appointments made cannot be reversed," claimed Ajit Pal Singh.
He added that some more petitions were filed by applicants who were denied jobs by the department due to over-qualification for the jobs. Most petitioners allegedly concealed the fact that their petitions had been dismissed by the high court and the Supreme Court. These petitions also neither challegened the selections nor any selected candidate was impleaded as party.
Kapurthala district unit President Charanjeet Singh said, "In those proceedings, it was the duty of the State to bring to the notice of high court that the matter stood adjudicated up to the level of Supreme Court."
Now, the high court has declared those appointments as null and void and vide its decision dated July 27, 2010, asked the department to prepare fresh merit list considering all applicants who had applied, he said adding that, "We were in communication with the education department. Some contempt petitions were filed in the court, reacting to which the department has issued the advertisement in media regarding preparation of fresh merit list."
"We plead chief minister Parkash Singh Badal to intervene and save the livelihoods of nearly 500 teachers who would be come out on road to fight for justice. The government has invited applications for another 646 vacancies. Those, who were not considered for appointment can be considered against these posts," demanded Ajit Pal Singh.