Plastic kite string claims life of 16-year-old girl

  • HT Correspondent,, Ludhiana
  • Updated: Jan 11, 2015 15:04 IST

A 16-year-old girl, who was electrocuted after coming in contact with a plastic kite string that was entangled with high voltage power supply cables on December 31 last year, has succumbed to injuries at Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research ( PGIMER), Chandigarh on Friday.

She had suffered 90 per cent burns. After her death, the Basti Jodhewal police have enhanced activities to seize plastic strings in the city.

The case has been registered following the statement of Parwati, resident of Kuldeep Nagar of the Basti Jodhewal area, who is sister of the deceased.

The victim, Geeta, was sitting on roof of her house when she came in contact with the plastic kite string that was entangled in high voltage power supply cables from the other end.

Shop selling plastic strings raided

Police had raided shops in their respective areas to curb the menace of plastic strings. The division number 4 police have arrested Rohit Chopra of Guru Nanak Pura and recovered four roles of plastic strings from his shop at Gol Market, near Domoria Bridge, on Friday.

The cops from the police station near PAU have registered three cases against the shopkeepers selling plastic strings.

The police have booked Madan Lal of Rishi Nagar, Tejwant Singh of Haibowal Kalan and Komal Prince of Roopa Mistri Gali and seized 140 roles of plastic strings from their shops on Friday.

Three cases under Section 188 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) have been registered against them in this context.

also read

HT interviews Kejriwal: ‘In Punjab, CM face not important for people right now’
Show comments