Police fail to meet deadline to submit charge sheet set by itself | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 26, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Police fail to meet deadline to submit charge sheet set by itself

punjab Updated: Jan 11, 2014 21:00 IST
Tarsem Singh Deogan

Over two weeks after acid attack victim Harpreet Kaur succumbed to her injuries, the police are yet to file a charge sheet in the court. After Kaur's demise, police commissioner Nirmal Singh Dhillon had set a deadline of 10 days for the police to submit the charge sheet in the court.

According to sources, it will take some more days for the police to prepare the charge sheet, adding that identification procedure of the accused by the witnesses was pending. There are some more formalities for the police to fulfil to finalise the charge sheet.

Kaur had died at the National Burn Centre at Mumbai on December 27, after struggling for life for 20 days. The same day, Dhillon had claimed that the police would submit the charge sheet against the accused in the next 10 days, and pursue capital punishment for the accused.

Inspector Harpal Singh, station house officer (SHO), Sarabha Nagar police station, said the investigation was on and the police were working hard on it. He said some formalities were yet to be fulfilled before filing the charge sheet. On being asked about the deadline set by the police commissioner, the SHO said the police could submit the charge sheet within 90 days of arrest of the accused.

Case timeline

December 7: Accused threw acid on Harpreet Kaur just hours before her marriage, at a salon at Sarabha Nagar. Three other women, including two beauticians at the salon, suffered injuries in the incident.
December 9: Police claimed to have arrest six accused, including a woman Amit Pal Kaur, for the attack.
December 11: Police decide to ferry victim to National Burn Centre, Mumbai, and to bear all expenses of treatment.
December 12: Victim airlifted to Mumbai.
December 27: Victim succumbed to death at the National Burn Centre.
December 28: Body of victim cremated in Barnala.