Police rescue kidnapped boy from Sirsa | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 24, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Police rescue kidnapped boy from Sirsa

punjab Updated: Jan 03, 2013 19:44 IST
HT Correspondent

In a well-coordinated joint operation, the Punjab Police and the Government Railway Police (GRP) rescued a 10-year-old boy from the clutches of his kidnapper and reunited him with his parents who had lost all hope of ever seeing him again.

The child, Manoj Kumar, had gone missing on December 29 from his house in the premises of Shiv Shakti Oil Mill in Ibben Kalan village on the outskirts of the city. He was rescued from the Sirsa railway station in Haryana on January 1 and handed over to his parents on Thursday, Amritsar (rural) SSP PS Virk said at a media briefing.

The kidnapper, Sunny Kumar (20) of Garota near Pathankot, was taken into custody at Sirsa and formally arrested by the Amritsar rural police under section 365 of the IPC (kidnapping). The case was registered at the Chhatiwind police station after the boy could not be traced and the matter was reported to the police by the boy's father, Rajesh Kumar, who works at the oil mill.

Giving details of the operation, Virk said three teams, each headed by a DSP-rank officer, were formed to trace the boy. During initial investigations, the police crosschecked all those working in the mill. After it was established that none of the workers was involved in the crime, the police began screening the outsiders who had visited the mill on the day of the crime and finally zeroed in on Sunny Kumar, the cleaner of a truck that had come to the mill premises but left without its driver.

Virk said that working on various clues, it was found that Sunny Kumar had boarded a passenger train at the Buttari railway station along with the boy. The boy was lured by the accused with the promise of buying him kites and kite strings.

According to the SSP, with the help of the GRP, it became known that the accused, along with the boy, got off at the Ludhiana railway station and then again boarded a passenger train for Hisar.
On the motive behind the kidnapping, Virk said the accused had planned to sell off the boy to a dhaba owner. He had been booked for a similar offence about a year ago and was released on bail in that case.

Rajesh Kumar, originally a resident of Pratapgarh district in Uttar Pradesh, was all praise for the police for rescuing his son.