The Haibowal police have registered a first information report (FIR) against Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSPCL) officials for negligence that led to the death of Krishan Kumar, 40, after he came in contact with a high-tension electricity wire at his home.
The deceased's elder brother Surinder Pal told the police that Krishan Kumar came in contact with the wire when it broke and fell on him, while he was feeding the cattle at their Ayali Kalan residence on Sunday evening. He said he had asked the PSPCL officials to shift the 11,000-kV electricity wire passing just above the house, but they failed to do it, leading to his brother's death.
The police said the FIR had been registered under Section 304A of the Indian Penal Code and action would be taken after investigation.
Earlier, on July 1, a person was electrocuted after coming in contact with high-tension wires on his terrace at Noorwala Road.
PSPCL TO LODGE COMPLAINT AGAINST VICTIM
Denying that the accident happened due to PSPCL's negligence, central zone chief engineer NP Singh said: "The accident happened due to the negligence of the house owner. Now, the PSPCL will file an FIR in this case, because the house was built after the installation of high-tension wires in the area. If they wanted to shift the wires from the place, they should have deposited the money for the work to department."
The PSPCL official alleged the wire broke when the deceased was working on the roof and a rod hit the wires.
"It caused damage to the department and we will be taking legal action,"he said.
NP Singh said that the municipal corporation needs to issue notices to "illegal"houses built below high-tension lines, as such buildings cannot be raised beyond a particular height.
"People should understand the rules. If they want to raise houses below high-tension wires, they should also bear the cost of shifting these lines and file an application with the department,"he said.
'Victim's negligence caused death'
The accident happened due to the negligence of the house owner. Now, the PSPCL will file an FIR in this case, because the house was built after the installation of high-tension wires in the area.
NP Singh, chief engineer, Ludhiana central zone, PSPCL