Punjab to hand over probe into sacrilege cases to CBI
Punjab chief minister Parkash Singh Badal on Sunday gave the nod to transfer the investigation of the three cases related to the desecration of Guru Granth Sahib to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).punjab Updated: Nov 02, 2015 00:13 IST
Punjab chief minister Parkash Singh Badal on Sunday gave the nod to transfer the investigation of the three cases related to the desecration of Guru Granth Sahib to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
Announcing this, chief minister’s adviser on national affairs and media Harcharan Singh Bains said the chief minister decided to have the cases investigated by the CBI and gave the nod in the evening.
The state police have no objection to this. Earlier, the home department led by deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal sent its recommendation to the chief minister for approval.
The state government is of the view that handing over the investigation to the CBI would ease out the current unrest in the state.
Panthic leaders have been leading protests in the state demanding the release of brothers Rupinder Singh and Jaswinder Singh of Panjgrian Khurd village arrested for the Bargari desecration case.
According to Bains, the chief minister took note of the demands by religious organisations and the family of the accused and decided to “respect the sentiments” of people.
The issue involves three cases at Bajakhana police station in Faridkot district – the theft of Guru Granth Sahib, putting up of objectionable posters, and the desecration of the holy book. Three different FIRs had been registered in these cases.
Earlier, the government had sought the view of director general of police Suresh Arora, who said he had no objection as these incidents had wider dimensions and ramifications, including the hurt religious feelings of people.