Sacrilege incidents: World Kabaddi Cup in Punjab cancelled | punjab$regional-takes | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 25, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Sacrilege incidents: World Kabaddi Cup in Punjab cancelled

Punjab deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Tuesday announced the cancellation of the sixth edition of the World Kabaddi Cup scheduled to be held in the state from November 14 to 28.

punjab Updated: Oct 20, 2015 22:34 IST

Punjab deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal.(HT Photo)

Punjab deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Tuesday announced the cancellation of the sixth edition of the World Kabaddi Cup scheduled to be held in the state from November 14 to 28.

Announcing this here, the deputy chief minister, who also holds the sports portfolio, said it was done to express grief over the recent incidents of desecration of the Guru Granth Sahib.

“Kabaddi symbolises the spirit of Punjabis and their quest for excellence in rural sports. At a time when the community is shocked with grief at the ghastly manner in which the holy book has been desecrated, holding such a tournament is not appropriate,” he said.

Sukhbir said the feelings of the entire Punjabi community had been outraged. “My feelings have also been outraged and my conscience does not allow me to preside over a tournament at a time when the community the world over is in grief.”

Teams had already decided not to participate

Many teams had decided not to participate in the kabaddi tournament even before the deputy CM announced its cancellation.

According to sports deputy director Ravi, two teams had already officially announced not to participate in the Cup. According to sources, around 10 teams had sounded the department following the incidents of sacrilege and the subsequent unrest in the state.