Seechewal starts cleaning of Chhoti Bein choked for decades
Environmentalist Balbir Singh Seechewal has started efforts to clean Choti Bein, a tributary of Kali Bein, which was constructed by the rulers centuries ago by linking it with the Kanjli wetland with the purpose to get the clean water. The Choti Bein was lying abandoned for decades.punjab Updated: Aug 01, 2014 23:25 IST
Environmentalist Balbir Singh Seechewal has started efforts to clean Choti Bein, a tributary of Kali Bein, which was constructed by the rulers centuries ago by linking it with the Kanjli wetland with the purpose to get the clean water. The Choti Bein was lying abandoned for decades.
The 'kar sewa' to clean the 15-km Choti Bein was started by Baba Seechewal, deputy commissioner DS Mangat and chairman of district planning committee Sarabjit Singh Makkar, who removed silt with their hands on Friday.
The Chhoti Bein was linked with Kanjali wetland in a manner that after taking water from Holy Bein it again merged with Holy Bein after traversing a distance of 15 km.
Sant Baba Daya Singh from Gurdwara Tahli Sahib, Sant Baba Amrik Singh, volunteers of Guru Nanak Bein Sacred Restoration Committee, Bajrang Dal, Shiv Sena and more than 200 constables of the Police Training Centre, led by commandant SK Agnihotri, also participated in the cleaning of the Bein.
In less than five hours, the volunteers cleaned a 200-metre stretch, which was covered under dense vegetation in the morning.
Seechewal said they have now started the cleaning process of Holy Bein and will continue it till fresh water starts flowing in it.
Appreciating the efforts of Seechewal, the deputy commissioner said if this Bein is cleaned it will help recharge the underground water level and raise the water table in Kapurthala town and nearby areas.
"We would develop a 6-km walkway on the side of this tributary and will restrict anyone from throwing any kind of garbage or filthy water in the rivulet," he said.
Seechewal has devoted 14 years to clean the 160-km Kali Bein, which was earlier choked due to a bed of hyacinth.