Shivali suicide case: Hearing adjourned to February 12 | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 26, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Shivali suicide case: Hearing adjourned to February 12

punjab Updated: Jan 29, 2013 19:25 IST
HT Correspondent

A local court on Tuesday adjourned the hearing of the famous Shivali suicide case to February 12 and ordered police to produce all the three accused including woman inspector Balwinder Kaur and two press photographers on the next date of hearing.

Hearing began in the court of Judicial Magistrate First Class (JMIC) Pushpinder Singh, who adjourned the case to February 12.

Meanwhile, the accused Inspector Balwinder Kaur has filed her bail petition, decision on which would be taken by the court on February 1.

It is pertinent to mention here that the police had held suspended inspector Balwinder Kaur of Traffic Police, one photojournalist and one cameraman of an electronic channel, guilty for abetting to suicide in the charge sheet presented in the court recently.

The police had relied upon the findings of an enquiry conducted by Inspector General of Police, Jalandhar Zone-II, Gurpreet Deo, after directed by Principal Secretary (Home) vide letter number 58980 dated 07-09-2012.

IG, who had concluded that if a little compassion and understanding had been shown by either of inspector or journalists, the young girl may have been alive.

On August 30, Shivali (19), a student of local PCM SD Collegee, ended her life after she was stopped while she was travelling in her friend's car which hit another car while fleeing from the spot when directed by eve teasing squad to stop the vehicle.

She was later quizzed by Inspector Balwinder Kaur, who was leading the drive, in the presence of media men, who clicked her photographs. "The child thought that there was no-way to prevent her pictures from being published in the next day's paper," asserted IGP Deo in her inquiry report.

Shivali had threatened that she would commit suicide if her photographs were taken and published. Sometime later, fearing this would be done, she ended her life by jumping before a train.

In the charge sheet, the enquiry officer had held that Balwinder Kaur harassed Shivali with humiliating questions while querying about her relation with Gaurav, who became prime witness in the charge sheet.

"The girl took the extreme step after being harassed and humiliated by the inspector Balwinder Kaur, photojournalist Brijesh Kumar and cameraman Ravi Kumar," reads the charge sheet.