SLIET authorities want students to be part of mess tender allotment
After facing the wrath of students around a month ago, the authorities of Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology (SLIET) seem to have learnt from the past and have decided that students will be part of the tender awarding process for contracts of hostel mess this session.punjab Updated: Jun 09, 2013 23:15 IST
After facing the wrath of students around a month ago, the authorities of Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology (SLIET) seem to have learnt from the past and have decided that students will be part of the tender awarding process for contracts of hostel mess this session.
SLIET authorities have invited class representatives of certificate, diploma, degree and post graduation courses to participate in tender opening and finalisation of mess contracts for the hostels.
This is for the first time that students in SLIET would be part of allotment of mess tenders to contractors.
Pertinently, besides demanding resignation of incumbent director Sunil Pandey, students had alleged poor quality of food despite high rates.
Last year, violating norms, the authorities had given contract of around 10 messes to one contractor.
The students also alleged monopoly and despotic attitude the contractor in deciding the menu for the meals. Notably, after students went on rampage on May 6, the SLIET management rolled backs its decision of mandatory R2,500 mess bill per month irrespective of the fact that whether a student takes his meals there or not.
In a circular to students, registrar AS Dhaliwal said CRs should participate in both technical and commercial (financial) bids from June 6 onwards.
As per information, technical bid will carry information about detailed experience of the contractors working in student mess and the facilities to be provided in the mess. The commercial bid will contain details of menu, quality and products to be served and price of the items.
A student, seeking anonymity, said the participation of their representatives will ensure that tenders would be allotted to different people to ensure quality food and better facilities.
"The move will help students to include things of their choice in the menu besides bargaining the prices of several items. It will also help check the activities of mess contractors," said a student.
Meanwhile, in wake of closure of institution till June 30, the students have been directed to pay their pending mess bills directly into bank account of the present mess contractor.
Semester-end exam likely in last week of June
After semester examinations of all classes were postponed due to the May 6 rampage on the campus, which caused damage worth R12 crore, the authorities are now all set to hold examination of final-year students any time in the last week of June.
Though the authorities are yet to take a final decision on the exact date for the examinations, students of final year of certificate diploma and degree courses have been told to prepare for their semester-end examinations at a very short notice.
In a notice to students, registrar AS Dhaliwal, "Every effort is being made to put the system back on track for smooth conduct of examinations after the institute has gone through devastation on May 6."
However, he added that the examinations are likely to be held during the last week of June and the dates will be announced soon after making all prior arrangements.
The hostels had been shut after the rampage following which final-year students have been directed to contact warden of respective hostels to collect their books and other belongings.
However, the university has decided to open central library, which was also shut down, so that students can get books issued for examination.
Two-member panel in SLIET from June 11
Carrying out detailed inquiry into the SLIET violence, a two-member probe team constituted by the ministry of human resource development (MHRD) will revisit the campus from June 11.
The panel comprising retired high court judge justice SN Aggarwal and former IAS officer RP Aggarwal will stay for four days.
Demanding resignation of director Sunil Pandey, the students created ruckus and set the record room, laboratories and several vehicles and rooms on fire besides damaging public property.
The panel had earlier visited on May 21-24 for their first sitting, while their second sitting was held from June 6 to 9.
Though the panel had to submit its reports within a month to MHRD, it has sought some more time from the ministry to complete the inquiry.
In its four-day visit, the members would listen to grievances and recommendations of students, parents, faculty or staff members and public representatives, who want to willingly depose before the committee about issues and demands of the students.