Teacher miscarriage case: Medical panel gives clean chit to police | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Teacher miscarriage case: Medical panel gives clean chit to police

punjab Updated: Apr 23, 2015 22:25 IST
HT Correspondent

The medical board constituted to look into the alleged miscarriage of a government schoolteacher in police custody on March 22 has given clean chit to the police, maintaining that the miscarriage did not take place due to her detention.

Rajni, a teacher at Tejmohan Primary School and a resident of Avtar Nagar in the city, was taken into preventive custody to stop her from participating in a protest rally called by the the Sikhya Providers Teachers’ Union ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Ferozepur. She was pregnant at that time and suffered a miscarriage soon after the incident.

Civil surgeon Dr RL Bassan said, “Following the district administration’s instructions, a medical board headed by district family welfare officer Dr Gurmeet Kaur Duggal was constituted to look into the matter and submit a report in this regard. Two other members on the medical board were senior medical officer (SMO gynecology) Dr Sangeeta Kapoor, and Dr Kashmirilal.”

While preparing the report, the board members recorded the statement of Rajni and Dr Kanchan Vasudev, gynecologist at the Vasudev Maternity Clinic which she had visited for consultation.

According to the report, Rajni became pregnant on December 26 and visited the Vasudeva Maternity Clinic on March 3. During the test, Dr Vasudev had asked Rajni to take complete bed rest as it was a high-risk pregnancy. She had undergone abortions twice earlier due to medical complication. However, despite the advice of her doctor, Rajni did not refrain from driving two-wheeler to work and did not take leave either, the report says.

On March 22, she was taken into police custody and the next day her conditions worsened following which she was taken to the Vasudeva Clinic.

She complained of bleeding and she was found to be over eight week pregnant. The growth of the foetus was found to be stunted and she was given a pregnancy termination kit, which she did not carry out, as a result of which the miscarriage took place, the report adds.

Following the miscarriage Rajni was admitted to the Civil Hospital, where dilation and curettage was done to abort her foetus. She discharged the same day.