Teenaged girl jumped off the terrace to avert rape | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 23, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Teenaged girl jumped off the terrace to avert rape

punjab Updated: May 05, 2014 12:51 IST
Shaheen P Parshad

Finding no other way out to prevent her modesty from being outraged by a neighbour and three of his accomplices, a young woman jumped off the terrace of her maternal grandmother’s house where she was staying and sustained injuries in the backbone and fractured both her knees.

The incident took place more than a month ago, but a case in this regard was registered a g ai nst the accused Rinku, his accomplice Bab and two other unidentified persons on Saturday following intervention of the higher police officials.

Accused Rinku (19) lived in same locality wherein the victim girl (19) stayed at her grandmother’s house.
In a complaint lodged with the police, the girl alleged that Rinku used to follow her and utter obscene words. She said that she brought the matter to the notice of his parents, following which he once apologised to her.

However, on the evening of March 29, the accused came to her house when she was alone and attempted to rape her. She said she tried to run out of the house to protect herself but as she went out, she was accosted by three of his accomplices who were standing outside the house and tried to grab her. Thereafter, she rushed to the terrace of the house and jumped down, fracturing her knees and injuring her backbone.

“According to the complainant, the accused fled when her cousin arrived on the scene. She has also charged the accused with threatening to take her away,” said inspector Gurmeet Singh, SHO, Sadar police station. He added that a case has been registered in this regard against the accused and efforts are being made to arrest them.

Police officials claimed that after the incident, the kin of the girl, who is still undergoing treatment for her injuries, made attempts to reach a compromise with the accused, but their efforts failed.

They said that the accused later started harassing the girl and her family, who also faced social disapproval after the incident. They finally approached the higher police officials, who ordered the registration of the case.

However, the police are yet to get the victim medically examined for her injuries.