Three days on, Pbi varsity fails to act against staff who beat medical officer | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Three days on, Pbi varsity fails to act against staff who beat medical officer

punjab Updated: Nov 19, 2013 23:25 IST
Navrajdeep Singh
Navrajdeep Singh
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The non-teaching employee at Punjabi University - who had assaulted a medical officer (MO, posted at the university health centre three days back - is roaming fearlessly and freely on the campus, thanks to the university authorities who failed to take any action against him.

Not just the university, but even police have failed to take any action against the accused in spite of complaint lodged by the MO, Amritpal Singh Chabra.

However, the Urban Estate police booked the accused, Gurwinder Singh Babbi, under Sections 323 (punishment for causing injuries voluntarily), 341 (punishment for wrongful restraint), 506 (criminal intimidation), 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) and 186 (obstructing public servant in discharge of public function) of the Indian penal Code (IPC) on November 15.

Charging the universities authorities with shielding Babbi, Chabra said the accused was roaming freely on the behest of the university authorities and negligent attitude of police in arresting him. “Babbi has been approaching me through different people for reconciliation, and threatened me of dire consequences if I failed to do so,” he alleged.

However, it was not for the first time that the accused had been indulged in unruly behaviour on the campus, as earlier too, he had misbehaved and turned violent for three times with other employees.
Babbi, who is a programmer at University Colleges of Engineering, is said to have links with infamous persons in the town.

According to the first information report (FIR), on November 14, Naresh Kumar, a safai Sewak, went to the university health centre for a medical report - mandatory for regularisation of job; however, after his ECG, Chabra declared Naresh unfit for the university job due to severe cardiac problem.

On November 15, Babbi, a leader of non-teaching employees' union, approached Chabra and offered him bribe to clear Naresh's medical reports. When Chabra refused, Babbi assaulted him with some blunt object in front of other staff members, in which Chabra received injury in one of his eyes while one of his teeth got fractured, said the FIR.

On November 15, the accused attacked Chabra around 12:30 with some blunt weapon in which Chabra received injury at one his eyes, while his tooth also fractured.

“Soon after the attack, I met vice-chancellor Jaspal Singh and registrar AS Chawla demanding strict action against the accused, but nothing was done so far,” said Chabra, adding that the university authorities would be responsible if the accused attacked him or his family in near future.

However, according to information, the authorities have constituted a six-member committee to look into the matter. The committee recorded Chabra's statement on Tuesday.

Professor Balwinder Singh Tiwana, head of the inquiry committee, and registrar AS Chawla could not be contacted despite repeated attempts.