Tourists had a narrow escape as the bus they were travelling in, caught fire near Ram Colony on Hoshiarpur-Chintpurni road in the wee hours of Tuesday.An air conditioned bus (JK 02 AQ 2129) of Kailash Travels Ltd, Jammu was carrying tourists to Chandigarh.
A few kilometres from Hoshiarpur, the passengers got a whiff of smoke and cautioned the driver. Hardly had the driver put brakes, that the bus caught fire. Passengers jumped out in panic, leaving their belongings in the vehicle. A police patrolling party immediately called the fire brigade that doused the flames and helped passengers board other carriers. A spark in the AC is said to have ignited the fire.