Two gangrape accused held | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 25, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Two gangrape accused held

punjab Updated: Mar 30, 2013 22:14 IST
HT Correspondent

Five days after the alleged abduction and gangrape of a woman in a moving car, the Amritsar police on Saturday claimed to have arrested two of the four accused named in the FIR.

The police also recovered a silver Optra car used in the crime, but they said that no abduction took place, as claimed by the complainant.

Those arrested include Ajay Kumar and Sandeep Rana. Their accomplice, Sanju Kumar, is still absconding.

Addressing a press conference here, deputy commissioner of police (DCP) Kaustabh Sharma said, "Soon after the incident was reported, a special investigation team led by ADCP Harjit Singh Brar was formed that worked overnight to nab the two accused and recover the car. It has emerged from the preliminary investigations and the questioning of the accused that some conversation took place between the complainant and the accused. But forcible intercourse definitely happened."

Ruling out the abduction angle as of now, the DCP said there were many things that need to be further probed. "We have made two arrests, but the sequence of events is still unclear. We need time to verify the facts," said Sharma.

He said they had established that the complainant did not know the boys. "We will also conduct the forensic examination of the car in which the woman was taken and examine the routes through which the car passed," said the DCP.

Ajay and Sanju are brothers and the car belonged to them. Sandeep is working as a peon in a bank.

"It was a blind case. The credit for the arrests goes to the entire SIT and the SHO of the A division police station, sub-inspector Neeraj Kumar.

The city police had registered a case against three persons by name and an unidentified person on Tuesday after a 20-year-old woman alleged that she was forcibly dragged into a car and gangraped.

The woman, who alleged that she was abducted near the bus stand, was dumped in the cantonment area.

The police were under tremendous pressure to solve the case in the backdrop of angry protests by residents.