Two employees of Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSPCL) received severe burns because of electric shock while repairing the 11,000-kilovolt cables on Tuesday afternoon at the Singhan Wala village power grid, 7km from Moga.
The duo, Hardial Singh and Pannan Lal, are in a critical state with burn injuries ranging from 40 to 50% on their faces, arms and legs, and have been shifted to Dr Mathra Dass Civil Hospital in Moga.
Hardial Singh of Bahona village and Pannan Lal of Geeta Bhawan Colony in Moga were on the construction site of a 220-KV power grid when the accident occurred. "I had the official permit for repair," said junior engineer Mohinder Singh. "I don't know how the accident occurred."
"After we had the repair permit, there shouldn't have been high-voltage current in the wires," said Hardial Singh, from his hospital bed. "On Tuesday morning, we started work on the 11,000-KV wires. JE Mohinder Singh told us the power supply would be off till late evening. We don't know who switched it on again when the work was in progress."
The electricity department awaits a report on the matter. "We can't locate junior engineer Mohinder Singh," said Jhirmal Dass, subdivisional officer of Bhinder Kalan. "I will have a better idea 24 hours on."
Executive engineer Kulwant Singh Sandhu also said an investigation was on. "I can't say how the incident happened," he said. "The inquiry report will bring something to light."