Two siblings burnt to death in Jalandhar | punjab$jalandhar | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 20, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Two siblings burnt to death in Jalandhar

punjab Updated: Dec 08, 2015 00:08 IST
Jatinder Kohli
Jatinder Kohli
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The deceased were identified as Aditya (4) and his younger brother Anshu (3).(HT Photo)

In a tragic incident, two siblings of a migrant family were burnt to death after fire broke out in a room at Aman Nagar on Monday afternoon when their mother had locked them to stop brothers from playing with other kids

The deceased were identified as Aditya (4) and his younger brother Anshu (3). Both were living with their father Ram Chander (30) and mother Geeta Devi (25) for last one year at Aman Nagar as tenants. The family originally belongs to Fatehpur district of Uttar Pradesh.

As per information given by house owner Simran Kaur, Geeta works as maid and Ram Chander is a labourer at a metal factory at Focal Point.

Kaur said that on Monday, Geeta went to Anoop Singh’s house at 12 pm.

She said that around 12.15 pm, Manisha, who also works as a maid in the adjoining house, informed her that flames are coming outside the window of the room of the top floor.

Kaur said that she immediately along with neighbour Sonia rushed to the roof and somehow opened the door of the room.

“I called up other residents who poured the water in the room and controlled the flames,” said heartbroken Kaur, adding that in the meanwhile, Geeta arrived there and informed about kids in the room.

The house owner further told that Geeta went inside the room and brought the bodies out of the room, but she became unconscious. The people also called up kids’ father Ram Chander.

Cops rushed to the spot and took the bodies to the civil hospital.

Preliminary investigations suggest that the kids might have lit a matchbox stick inside the room due to which bed sheets and clothes caught fire. Investigations further revealed that the kids might have tried to escape from the room, but none of them heard their shrieks.

As per doctors, Aditya died due to serious burns, but Anshu, who had sustained burns on leg, could have died due to suffocation.

Both siblings were studying at nursery class at Labhu Ram Doaba Public School.

The bodies would be handed over to the family after postmortem on Tuesday by the medical board of three doctors.

With the death of siblings, other kids in the locality were inconsolable.

<