Two-year-old’s body found dumped in Chandigarh’s industrial area plot

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Chandigarh
  • Updated: Apr 28, 2016 17:13 IST
Police near the crime scene on Tuesday (HT Photo)

The dog-eaten disfigured body of a two-and-a-half-year-old girl child was found dumped — packed in a rice sack — at a plot in Industrial Area Phase-2 around 9am on Tuesday morning. The child is the daughter of a gardener and was missing since Monday evening.

Dogs discovered body

The body was found when stray dogs started gathering around the rice sack dumped at Plot Number- 93, Phase-2, Industrial Area. Initially, a woman sweeper who happened to be around shooed away the dogs. However, within a few minutes the dogs tore open the sack and dragged out the body.

A witness Faisal said he was horrified to discover that the animals had bit off the face of the body and had also chopped off two fingers.

Following this, the police was informed.

How the child was identified

With the body not in an identifiable state, a message was flashed to all police stations in the city describing the clothes she was wearing. It was found that a child matching the description had been reported as missing since 9pm on Monday evening from Sarangpur.

The father told the police that his daughter went missing while playing outside the house on Monday evening.

“My daughter went missing around 5am on Monday. We tried to trace her all evening on Monday, but could not find her. Finally, I had lodged a missing complaint,” he said, adding that he had shifted houses within Sarangpur only on Sunday as at her previous locality, a number of young men created a lot of nuisance for the family.

“She (the child) was the youngest of four children. She has a sister and two brothers,” he said.

Police theory so far

“Prima facie, it seems that the child died due to choking. The body was badly disfigured due to dog bites. So, we are relying on the post-mortem report. We are verifying if enmity with the family could be a reason for the murder. Rape has not been ruled out as the post-mortem report is yet to come,” said SSP Sukhchain Singh Gill, who also visited the spot.

The post-mortem has been conducted by a board of doctors in Government Medical College and Hospital(GMCH), Sector 32, but is yet to be revealed.

“We have also called for CCTV footage at several points in the area,” Sarangpur SHO Shadi Lal said.

A case under Section 363 (kidnapping) and 302 (murder) has been registered at the Sarangpur police station with more sections, if needed, to be added after the post-mortem report.

also read

Festive season rush: Road recarpeting by MC adds to chaos
Show comments