US deportee seeks action against 'bigamist' husband | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

US deportee seeks action against 'bigamist' husband

punjab Updated: Oct 13, 2013 00:53 IST
Sanjeev Bhalla

Deserted by husband and deported from the US in October 2012, a woman has approached police here to seek legal action against her husband and in-laws.

Harjit Kaur, who lived in California, has moved a complaint to senior superintendent of police (rural) Yurinder Singh Hayer on mail. "My husband remarried in India without divorcing me, which also left my daughter, 9, in the lurch," she stated in the complaint that has been marked to the NRI (non-resident Indian) police station.

She said she had married Kamaljeet Singh of Uddowal village in Nakodar postal jurisdiction on April 20, 2003 and begot a daughter, Amandeep Kaur, from the relationship. "In 2010, my husband was imprisoned for 21 months on a charge of financial embezzlement and deported to India in October 2013," Harjit Kaur stated in the complaint.

"He promised to call us back to India but remained in touch for only four months," she added. "In March 2013, we came to know that his family was arranging his second marriage. We contacted the girl's family and the marriage was stalled. My in-laws had to pay that family Rs 5 lakh as compensation," she said in her complaint.

On October 9, she came to know that her husband had married another Harjit Kaur of Phillaur without divorcing her. Kamaljeet Singh, when contacted said: "Her parents harassed me lot. They were against our love marriage. I tried to be good husband but failed to keep her happy. I transferred $50,000 (Rs 30 lakh), my BMW car and five taxis in her name but failed to change her attitude. Two months ago, I got legal divorce from her ex-parte in India."

"We have the complaint. We will take whatever legal action is possible." said Surinder Pal Singh, station house officer of the NRI police station.