Holding the UT electricity department liable to pay compensation for the death of a teenager, who was electrocuted in 2006, judicial magistrate Ravi Gulati has directed it to pay Rs 3.65 lakh to parents of the deceased.
Student of Class 12, Lalit Ram alias Vinod (17), a resident of Sector 46, was electrocuted on December 10, 2006.
The court had directed the secretary of the UT electricity department and electricity operations sub-division number 6 to also pay 9% interest on the compensation amount from April 2007 (when case was filed) till August 27 (when the order was passed).
Apart from this, the kin would also be entitled to 6% interest on compensation amount from August 27 till the date of actual realisation.
Vinod's parents Ram Kumar and Ramawati had moved court through their counsels, Thakur Kartar Singh and Vishal Thakur, in April 2007.
The petitioner had sought compensation alleging that the UT electricity department had wrongly erected an electricity pole for providing electricity supply to liquor vend in Sector 46.
As per the petition, Ram Kumar along with his son was on his way to Sector 45, on December 10, 2006. Kumar said in order to prevent himself from slipping on the road owing to drizzle, his son had took support of the electricity pole and received a shock. Unconscious Lalit was rushed to hospital, but was declared dead citing electrocution as the reason.
Contesting the petition, the electricity department denied any liability saying that as per the clauses of providing electricity connection, the liability was that of the consumer. Lalit had come in contact with the wire supplying electricity to the vend, thus they are no way liable to pay.