Villagers protest against booking of six residents, seek CBI inquiry | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 22, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Villagers protest against booking of six residents, seek CBI inquiry

punjab Updated: May 12, 2014 00:28 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

Taking strong exception to the registration of criminal cases against six villagers in connection with the suicide by a woman, residents of Dhanauri village in Jind district on Sunday blocked the Delhi-Patiala national highway (NH-71), demanding an investigation by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into the incident.

The blockade, however, was lifted soon and traffic was restored as police reached the scene and pacified the agitating villagers by assuring them of an impartial probe.

Meanwhile, Jind deputy commissioner (DC) Rajiv Rattan and superintendent of police (SP) Balwana Rana have ordered the formation of a Special Investigation Team led by deputy superintendent of police (DSP) Puran Chand Panwar to probe the matter.

Panwar said the blockade was lifted shortly as police took the situation under control and pacified the villagers.

A 35-year-old woman had committed suicide on the night of June 8 in Dhanauri village, alleging sexual harassment by two persons of the same village. In her suicide note, the victim alleged police of inaction despite her repeated pleas for justice.

In this connection, the Jind police had registered a case against 11 persons, including six cops (five inspector-level officers) under section 306 (abetment to suicide) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

However, in fresh development, the protesting villagers accused the brothers of the rape victim of hatching a conspiracy against the innocent villagers.

They alleged that it was the victim’s brother who allegedly killed her and wrote a suicide note on her behalf to frame persons of their choice to settle some old scores.

Meanwhile, the victim’s brothers fled the village owing to the alleged police pressure to settle the case.

Talking to reporters, they said the family was on way to meet the President and if not permitted, they would end their lives.
In April, 2013, the victim had first time reported of sexual harassment by two villagers by barging into her house, where she used to live with her brothers after an unsuccessful marriage.