More than 50 acres of wheat stubble was burnt due to a short circuit in Kammomajra Khurd village near Bhawanigarh here on Wednesay, causing a loss of about Rs 1.25 lakh to farmers.
According to farmers, the fire was triggered by a short circuit in the high voltage line crossing over the fields and it spread within few minutes.
Fire brigade tenders were called but they failed to control the fire.
A farmer Gurcharan Singh, who has lost wheat stubble on his seven acres said: "The negligence of the electricity department is behind the loss. They should ban the electricity supply from 11 am to 4 pm, when high velocity winds blows."
Far mers Rattan Singh and Kisan Singh said: "Due to lack of labourers we had to harvest our crop with combine harvesters, but now we have to spend more to purchase wheat chaff for our cattle."
They said that wheat stubble was largely used as cattle feed for whole year. This time the price of wheat stubble per acre had jumped to Rs 2500 per acre.